Call Today: (201) 445-8381
Call Today: (201) 445-8381

Child Visitation

Hackensack, New Jersey Child Visitation Attorney

Frère et sœurProtecting the rights of Bergen County clients facing child visitation issues

Divorce can shake the foundation of the family. It does not only impact the relationships within the nuclear family, it can impact others, including aunts, uncles, grandparents, and more. When a child is caught in the middle of a contested divorce, the process can be too much to bear. Whether a parent has sole custody or a shared parenting arrangement, the home life of the child will be investigated. In some cases, a custodial parent does not allow grandparents, siblings and other family members access to the child. When this is the case, child visitation may be a factor. If a parent is awarded sole custody, New Jersey courts will most likely address the topic of child visitation for the other parent, whether that be through supervised visits or unsupervised outings. Family Courts believe that divorce and family issues should not disrupt the child’s life if possible. This applies to continuing, positive relationships with family. If you are facing a child visitation issue, contact Debra F. Schneider, Esq. today.

Sole custody and child visitation

Unfortunately, a parent can be deemed unfit by the court because of a variety of reasons. When this happens, the judge may award sole custody to the other parent or a relative close to the child. In these situations, visitation becomes a major factor.  Though the noncustodial parent may have lost physical and legal custody, the court believes that they should be able to work towards mending relationships and proving their ability to be a parent again. At some point, the custodial parent may have to face the reality of child visitation and allow access to the child.

Visitation orders

Positive relationships should be able to continue through a divorce and beyond. When other family members find themselves kept out of a child’s life because of their ties to an unfit parent or the state of their relationship with the custodial parent, they have the right to request a visitation order from the court. Whether or not the custodial parent agrees, other family members have the right to file an application for visitation with the presiding court. The court will examine the facts and address the balance between the best interests of the child and the possibility of a hostile custodial parent. If a court agrees with the application, it will issue a visitation order that the custodial party must follow.

Contact a Bergen County law firm with child visitation experience

If you are facing a child visitation matter, you need a lawyer that can effectively represent your interests. Debra F. Schneider, Esq. works with clients across Bergen County and all of New Jersey facing child visitation issues. Allow our firm to assess your case, guide you through your legal options, and passionately represent your interests. If you are a grandparent or sibling, allow our firm to fight for your visitation rights. If you need our quality legal services, contact us for a consultation.

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Connect With Us: